Everyone gets headaches; however, a migraine is more than just a bad headache. A migraine is an intense, throbbing headache that makes it difficult to perform daily tasks. The causes of migraines aren’t completely understood. However, several factors can trigger the onset of a migraine. Treatments are available to help relieve migraine pain.
What Is a Migraine?
A migraine is a moderate to severe headache that typically affects only one side of the head. The pain can be intense, throbbing and incapacitating. Unlike a normal headache, a migraine is usually accompanied by one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain in the temples
- Pain behind one eye or ear
- Extreme sensitivity to sound, light, touch and/or smell
- Visual disturbances like seeing flashing lights or zig zag lines, or temporary vision loss
- Tingling or numbness in the face or extremities
Migraine attacks can last between 4 and 72 hours.
What Causes a Migraine?
Migraines may be caused by changes in the brainstem and its interaction with the trigeminal nerve, which is a major pain pathway. Additionally, chemical imbalances of serotonin may be involved.
What Can Trigger a Migraine?
Migraine triggers are unique to each person. Some individuals may have several migraine triggers. Some of the most common migraine triggers include:
- Hormonal changes in women. Some women may have migraines immediately before or during their periods. Other women may develop migraines during pregnancy or menopause.
- Foods containing tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish and processed foods), monosodium glutamate (MSG), nitrates (bacon, hot dogs and salami), caffeine (coffee, soft drinks, tea), and/or artificial sweeteners (aspartame) may produce migraines.
- Constant mental stress.
- Sensory stimulation. Migraines can be set off from unusually bright lights (sun glare, flashlights), loud noises, or strong smells (perfume, paint thinner, cigarette smoke).
- Fasting or skipping meals.
- Sleep cycle changes. Not getting enough or getting too much sleep can prompt migraines.
- Physical exercise or exertion.
- Weather or barometric pressure changes.
- Oral contraceptives, hormone replacement therapies, and vasodilators, such as nitroglycerin, can cause migraines.
What Treatments Are Available for Migraines?
Talk to your doctor if you’re having migraines. Your doctor may recommend lifestyle changes (such as stress reduction, regular physical exercise, or dietary restrictions), medications, Botox injections, or surgery.
What Is the Migraine Miracle™ Therapy?
Euphoria Spa & Wellness Center, located in Avon, IN, offers the Migraine Miracle™, an innovative cold stone headache therapy designed to relieve the pain of migraine headaches. This 30-minute treatment helps decrease pain and headache pressure using pressure points, aromatherapy and cold marble stones.
Additionally, Euphoria Spa & Wellness Center offers several massage and body treatments to relieve stress and reduce body pain. Every session is designed to meet your individual needs.
Contact us today at 317-718-0800 to schedule an appointment for your Migraine Miracle™ session.